With Mother's Day being on this Sunday, May 10, many of the Hudson Valley events evolve around Mother's Day celebrations. While many associate Mother's Day with brunch, we have picked out several brunch, spa, and river cruise ideas for spending Mother's Day in Westchester and Orange County in our previous posts.
Here is some of what is also going on this weekend in the Hudson Valley:
(In case this is not the weekend update you are looking for, click here to see our most recent Hudson Valley weekend update post.)
Garden Tours and Plant Sales in the Hudson Valley
Many of the garden clubs plan their plant sales on Saturday, just in time for you to purchase flower baskets and Mother's day gifts. You will probably find something special to add to your garden.
Plant Sales on Saturday May 9th:
- Verplanck Garden Club Plant Sale at the Fishkill Town Hall, 807 Route 52 in Fishkill from 9am-12 noon.
- Philipstown Garden Club Plant Sale at the North Highlands Fire House, 504 Fishkill Rd, Cold Spring from 9am-1pm
- Monroe-Woodbury Garden Club Plant Sale at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 21 Still Rd, Monroe from 9am-3pm
- Shawangunk Garden Club's Annual Mother's Day Plant Sale at The Gazebo, Corner of Canal Street and Route 209, Ellenville from 9am-2pm
- Orange County Arboretum Plant Sale at the Orange County Arboretum, Thomas Bull Memorial Park, 41 Grove St, Montgomery from 10am-3pm
- Springside Plant Sale and Open Day at the Springside historic site, 185 Academy Street, Poughkeepsie from 10am-3pm
- Plant Sale at the Lyndhurst Estate, 635 South Broadway, Tarrytown from 10am-2pm. The plant sale is held by the Garden Club of Irvington and Hudson Valley Rock Garden Society.
If you may be interested in touring the various gardens in the Hudson Valley, there are two local gardens that you can tour on May 9, part of the Garden Conservancy's Open Days. The Rivendel is a picturesque, mature, rocky shade garden with a pond in Ossining, and the Garden of Shobha Vanchiswar and Murali Mani, featured in the 2010 “Best of” issue of Westchester Home magazine, is located in Chappaqua.
The Ellenville Tulip Festival and Mother's Day Celebration on Sunday, May 10th at Honors Haven Resort and Spa, which will also feature a luncheon and live music.
Heading up to Albany, the 67th annual Albany Tulip Festival is being held on May 9 and 10. It is a large event with more than 100,000 tulips in bloom, musical acts, Tulip Queen coronation, children's activities, and more.
You can celebrate Mother's Day, enjoy brunch and take a stroll at the Hammond Museum and Japanese Stroll Garden in North Salem.
If you have never been to the Stonecrop Gardens in Cold Spring, it is a truly beautiful garden. On Sunday they hold the Garden Conservancy Open Day from 10am-5pm. Tea and Cake are available for you to purchase and enjoy in the garden. Can't make it on Sunday? They are going to have a guided tour on Wednesday, May 13th from 5:30pm-7:00pm.
Shows and Concerts in the Hudson Valley
If you are interested in catching a show this weekend in the Hudson Valley, below is a few ideas:
- Hudson Valley Playwrights’ First Annual Short Play Festival at the Center for Performing Arts in Rhinebeck from May 8-10.
- Jesus Christ, Superstar at the County Players in Wappingers Falls
- Ode to Beethoven Mother's day Concert by the American String Quartet at Newburgh on May 10th at 3pm.
- Music in the Mansion at the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown on May 10, 4pm-5pm
- "I Happen to Like New York" and Paul Reiser the actor and comedian will perform at the Emelin Theater this weekend
- There are also concerts at the Tarrytown Music Hall, the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, the Caramoor in Katonah, the White Plains Performing Arts Center, and the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.
Festivals in the Hudson Valley
On Saturday, May 9, the New Paltz Fire Department Inc. will be holding their 2015 Cars & Craft Show at the Ulster County Fair Grounds.
The Hudson Valley fair at Dutchess Stadium and the Lightscapes at Van Cortlandt Manor are still going on. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful weekend!